dc_printfile problem blowing out printers

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
BruceN

dc_printfile problem blowing out printers

#1 Post by BruceN »

We've had a few customers (and now us) who have had a REALLY weird thing happen. We create a text file (report.txt) for the report, then use dc_printfile to print it.

The report.txt file is created. It shows fine with the lpreview option .t., but when we print it, it goes to never never land and (this is the weird part) ALL the printers are deleted form the windows printer list. If we try to reinstall the printers we get local print spooler service not running. we have to do a system restore to last good boot to get things back.

Here, it is happening on a win 7 notebook and our 2008 R2 server.

It happens on EXEs that are current and on one that is months old and worked fine until today. deleting all OBJs and recompiling doesn't change anything.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

thanks,

bruce
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Wolfgang Ciriack

Re: dc_printfile problem blowing out printers

#2 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

I have seen the same behavior with a wrong printer driver for a HP1020 under Win7 64bit when printing PDFs from the acrobat reader.
You must delete the files under windows\system32\spool\..... (don't know the hole path in the moment) and then restart the spool service,
the all printers were back again.

BruceN

#3 Post by BruceN »

VERY INTERESTING... (with apologies to artie johnson from laugh-in). I had just hooked up an old hp 1020 printer to my 2008 server (which, i believe, is basically a 64 bit win7 on steroids).

What are the RIGHT print drivers for the 1020 and where can i find them?
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)

Wolfgang Ciriack

#4 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

You will find a basic driver on hp.com. I find the best is to install the printer connected to usb, then you can change to ethernet with setting up an standard tcp/ip Port (if it is a 1020N printer).

Wolfgang Ciriack

#5 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

Hi Bruce,
you have a folder spool\printers, there are the print jobs, which you can delete.

Open the windows services, search for print queue, restart it with right mouse button, all printers will be shown again.

BruceN

#6 Post by BruceN »

- got the drivers from hp.com... still had issues. hmm. may be just replace printer and hope none of our users have one.

- there are a bunch of things under windows\system32\spool\.. what needs to be deleted and how do you restart the print spooler without rebooting?

thanks,

bruce

Wolfgang Ciriack

#7 Post by Wolfgang Ciriack »

Hi Bruce,
my answer is one item earlier than your question, it was not easy to give the answer before your question :lol:

rdonnay
Site Admin

#8 Post by rdonnay »

my answer is one item earlier than your question, it was not easy to give the answer before your question :lol:
This was my fault. The time and date was set incorrectly on the server. When I changed it, that caused a few postings to show in improper order.
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

BruceN

#9 Post by BruceN »

still having issues....

On xbase 331 and express 245 it ALWAYS works without a problem. On xbase 335 and express 254 we sometimes have the printer blowout problem. (on those customers who have the issue, if i put them back on the older code it works fine.)

Strange... some reports will work fine and others crash. and it isn't the same reports on all systems. Yet all reports are created the same way.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of temporarily trying to print from a batch file or runshell. rather than dc_printfile.

thanks,

BruceN

#10 Post by BruceN »

correction: it has happened on 2 xp machines as well as win7