FRAX : Fast Report for Xbase++

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
unixkd

FRAX : Fast Report for Xbase++

#1 Post by unixkd »

Hi all,

From Alaska sotware website we have the following:

This update includes the ability to enable Xbase++ 2.0 applications to work properly with the FRAX reporting system released for Xbase++ 1.9. For more details about how to enable FRAX backward compatiblity see PDR 6609. In case you still have issues with FRAX and Xbase++ 2.0 please get in contact with technical support. Note that the vendor of FRAX went out of business some time ago. So irrespective of the backward compatibility option included in this update, customers using FRAX should prepare themselves for moving to an alternative reporting system in the next 12-24 months.

Please note that updates can be rolled back any time. Just switch to the update history in the Update Manager, select the desired version and click "Install". Another good reason to install updates and participate in the progress of Xbase++ 2.0.

I have been using FRAX for about 5 years now and I found nothing close to this EXCELLET report writer in the market in time of EASE of use, SPEED and SOPHISTICATION. Unfortunately, the developer (Sergey Spirin), died last year. FRAX is buillt a top of FastReport VCL. It is the expectation of FRAX users that we would see somebody one day that we provide Xbase++ community with the same product that Sergey did.

Joe

Gerrit

Re: FRAX : Fast Report for Xbase++

#2 Post by Gerrit »

Hey Joe,

We currently also use FRAX reporting tool. It is a very nice reporting engine.

As I understand Alaska is providing a fix for V2 Xbase++ but making no guarantees for V3 Xbase++ compatibility.

Having said that, it would make the most sense if we could get Sergey's source code (I have emailed his late Wife and asked for this)
to be able to continue development on FRSyst.dll and re-establish a re seller partnership with the Parent company FastReports.

Potentially if we have the Xbase++ source for FRAX, and an update to date Developer Re seller Version of VLC 5 from FastReports, we could continue development of FRAX using VCL 5.

I am working on getting these together.

On that note, does anybody have the source for FRSyst.dll?

Regards,
Gerrit

rdonnay
Site Admin

#3 Post by rdonnay »

Gerrit -

One of my customers uses this a lot.
He would appreciate having it supported again.

Roger
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

unixkd

#4 Post by unixkd »

HI Gerrit

Thanks for your response, it is highly re-asurering.

Concerning the SOURCE CODE, I guess Sergey did FRAX DLL in Delphi. I dont know how this can be helpful even if you get the source code. I think what we should be thinking is how to re-do what Sergey did using PURE Xbase++ API calls. It is my advice that Sergey approach of wrapping the Fast Report DLL into a single FRSyst.dll should be jettioned and allow Dynamic loading of the Fast report VCL at runtime. This will enable one to always be able to use the latest Fast Report VCL.

If you are able to achieve this you would have restore life back to thousands of FRAX users over there.

Thanks.

Joe.

unixkd

#5 Post by unixkd »

HI Gerrit/ALL

Any idea of how to use TeeChart pro instead of TeeChart standard included in FRAX ? The current offering of Teechart Pro appear to be extremely wonderful.

http://www.steema.com

Thanks.

Joe