2011-11-07 Xbase++ 2.0 roadmap revised!

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
skiman

Re: 2011-11-07 Xbase++ 2.0 roadmap revised!

#11 Post by skiman »

Hi,

At the Devcon in Venlo, Arctica was presented a first time. This was 2004.
At the eXPress++ Devcon in Boise, Arctica was presented again, this was 2009.
Announcements were made in October 2010, April 2011 and now the release is planned in April 2012 because of the devcon? After 6 months silence, we have to wait another 6 months.

At this moment I'm not planning to attend the devcon. I would if Arctica was released and the Devcon could be the place to get further information and tips & tricks about it. I don't want to be disappointed again with another promise of Alaska.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

Auge_Ohr

#12 Post by Auge_Ohr »

hi,

i do understand that nobody beleave that Arctica is not a Ghost ... but hole Devcon is "based" on Arctica.
when you look on Devcon Session Plan, "red" Category of Alaska is for Arctica. this is why i call to vote
for English Session need for international Attendee.

i agree, if we do not receive Arctica before Devcon it will be a Flop and noboby every want a Xbase++ Devcon anymore.

p.s. Problem : Devcon ist "limited" to 160 Attendee ...
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

patito

#13 Post by patito »

Hello Jimmy

You can inform me the value of the license of Arctic, for using more than 10 terminals

Thank you

Regards
Hector

Auge_Ohr

#14 Post by Auge_Ohr »

patito wrote:You can inform me the value of the license of Arctic, for using more than 10 terminals
good Question ...

as i understand Arctica itself does not have that limitation.
while Arctica use PostgreSQL as "Frontend" you have to look there for "open Source" license. http://www.postgresql.org
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Tom

#15 Post by Tom »

Hi, Hector.

In addition to what Jimmy pointed out - "Artica" is a collection of a DBE (like DBFDBE, ADSDBE a.s.o.), a data migration tool and a set of procedures for the PostGre server. Since the PostGre is free and unlimited, your app will work with ten or one thousand workstations - DBEs are a part of the royalty free runtime environment. Whenever Steffen presented previews of it (I don't remember he did in Venlo, to be honest), he never mentioned any runtime limitations or license fees based on the number of users. No part of the Xbase++ package has that kind of limitations. Only if you work with ADS, which is not an Alaska product (the ADSDBE is, but not the server itself), you (or your customer) has to buy licenses based on the number of accessing workstations.
Best regards,
Tom

"Did I offend you?"
"No."
"Okay, give me a second chance."

patito

#16 Post by patito »

Hi Tom

Q: Is there any pricing information available?
Because we are currently talking about pre-release software, there is no pricing fixed yet. However, the PostgreSQL server in itself is free of charge as it is licensed under a BSD License. We plan to include the PostgreSQL DatabaseEngine in the Professional Subscription. Exact licensing modalities for this technology have not been fixed yet. However, we are not considering to employ a client-based licensing model.

http://www.alaska-software.com/products ... rview.shtm

Best Regard
Hector

Auge_Ohr

#17 Post by Auge_Ohr »

patito wrote:Q: Is there any pricing information available?
Arctica is Part of the Subscription, so you need a "active" one to download it ( when avaiable)

if you Subscription is expired you can write a Email to Alaska, but as i say
if you do not have a active Subscription, which is the Way to get Arctica, wait !!!
Alaska self talk about a "Devcon-spezial" if your Subscription have expired ... let´s see what come.
greetings by OHR
Jimmy

skiman

#18 Post by skiman »

Tom wrote: I don't remember he did in Venlo, to be honest.
Hi Tom,

In 2004 I bought SqlExpress from Boris a month before the Devcon. I wanted to 'play' with it, before I followed his sessions. Because of the announcement of Arctica, I made the wrong decision to wait for it. I never used SQLExpress...

There was also a presentation in 2006/2007 in the Netherlands at a two day mini-devcon of the User group.

I had the same (again) presentation in 2009 in Boise. I'm just wondering what was presented in April 2011 at the German User group.

I really do hope it will come, but I'm afraid it will be too late. We can't afford to wait forever.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

patito

#19 Post by patito »

Hello Jimmy

Please read this link, and I wait for his comments
http://www.alaska-software.com/products ... rview.shtm

Q: Is there any pricing information available?

Best Regard
Hector

BruceN

#20 Post by BruceN »

Hmmm... this is all very confusing to me and I'm not sure if it will or should affect things for us.

We are planning on releasing a new version of our app (compiled in 355 with express 254) after new years. That leads to a few questions and issues:

1) when will the new stuff actually be available?

2) will it be solid enough to use for a program release without going thru and testing everything under all conditions again (a logistical and timewise nightmare)? will there be any change in the operation or syntax of any component, function ,etc (requiring code changes) or will we just be able to re-compile under the new version?

3) cost... our subscription has expired (i can't even get a 64 bit install of 1.90 that works - seems to me i should be able to as i have 1.90 legitimately) and with the way business has been (thank you washington) money is VERY tight.

4) what are the actual advantages... from what i'm hearing (assuming i understand it correctly). database operations will be much faster (which would help as we presently use filters under some circumstances, which are slow) and a very easy path to a free sql. am i right? what other advantages will there be.. for example, will it eliminate the sporatic 'op lock' issues that i hear about, or the occassional (and fortunately rare) 'internal data structures corrupted' errors we haven't been able to figure out?

6) what are the disadvantages (there are always some)?

6) what is the difficulty in learning to use and to setup the sql part (both for development and distribution).

7) a bunch of things that i haven't thought of yet and will likely think of shortly after posting this :)

any thought on the above would be appreciated...

thanks
There are only 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't :)