Testers needed for XdotServer

This forum is for eXpress++ general support.
rdonnay
Site Admin

Testers needed for XdotServer

#1 Post by rdonnay »

In the past, i have been asked to develop a database utility that would run from a web browser and attach to a remote server. I started to do this before Xbase++ 2.0 and found that it was too difficult a project to write and maintain.

Bobby Drakos asked me again about a week ago to take on this project and this time I could envision a solution that would be powerful yet easy to maintain especially since I had the breakthrough on creating a server using Xbase++ 2.0 internet technologies.

It occurred to me that I could create a tool similar to Xdot.exe that would have much of the functionality but would run in a web browser. I call the server XdotServer.exe. it is a small program that gets most of its power from eXpress++ and only 1 CXP program named XDOT.CXP. It is even better than Xdot because it also allows SQL statements for Advantage customers. The server runs as an application but I see no reason it cannot eventually run as a service once all the bugs are worked out.

I need eXpress++ users who want or need this capability. I already have 4 signed up but could use some more. Below is an example screen in which I connected to Bobby Drakos server in New York and created a SQL browse of one of his databases.

You can have as many databases open as in Xdot.exe and can use all the same dot prompt commands for navigation. You don't need Advantage server to use this. it works with all the DBEs. Advantage is only needed for the SQL.
xdotserver.JPG
xdotserver.JPG (162.93 KiB) Viewed 13075 times
The eXpress train is coming - and it has more cars.

sdenjupol148

Re: Testers needed for XdotServer

#2 Post by sdenjupol148 »

Hi All,

Just in case it's not clear, we need Beta-testers.
This tool allows us to go beyond just RDP.
And we are not restricted to carrying our laptops around.
We can use any computer with an internet source and browser.

If you're interested and can give it some serious time and trial, please let us know.

Bobby

skiman

#3 Post by skiman »

Hi,

I'm available to test this.
Best regards,

Chris.
www.aboservice.be

rdonnay
Site Admin

#4 Post by rdonnay »

I want to be clear that this is not a new product.
This is just another improvement to eXpress++ and will be in build 264.

Xdot.exe will also be improved to add the SQL features.

Cliff Wiernik

#5 Post by Cliff Wiernik »

I would be able to do some testing.

Sbryan

#6 Post by Sbryan »

Does it require the Xbase++ professional subscription?

rdonnay
Site Admin

#7 Post by rdonnay »

Does it require the Xbase++ professional subscription?
Yes it does. It is based on HttpEndPoint and the CXP infrastructure.

Actually, CXP comes with the foundation subscription and it may be possible to make a version of this which will run under IIS or Apache. I will need to do some testing. If it works, then the foundation subscription should be sufficient.

digitsoft

#8 Post by digitsoft »

Very interesting
Roger
Nolberto Paulino
Regards

rdonnay
Site Admin

#9 Post by rdonnay »

I have decided that a version of XdotServer that runs under IIS or Apache is not possible due to the fact that data persistence and environment persistence is a requirement.

Web servers are notoriously "stateless". Maintaining persistence of variables requires "session management", usually based on cookies, hidden variables in forms, or some other mechanism. CXP utilizes a database for this mechanism but it is limited to storage of only the items specifically programmed to be saved. It would be a much bigger task to store all the information that needs to persist. XdotServer allows the programmer to change much more about the environment. It persists because the server is always running and maintaining the environment. Maybe this is not a good idea, but it works well for this purpose.

An XDbuServer would be more of a candidate for running under IIS or Apache because there are many less states to consider and could be maintained via session management. I will consider this as my next project.